ENCOURAGING HEALTHY HEARING
Encouraging healthy hearing
The encouragement of family members, educators and peers when your child consistently uses hearing aids is essential to his/her self-esteem and will help him/her flourish.
Below are some suggestions for encouraging healthy hearing and building self-esteem in your child:
- Encourage your child to speak for himself/herself.
- Help your child describe his/her hearing loss in age-appropriate language. Most kids can understand that hearing aids are like eyeglasses, only they’re for hearing better rather than seeing better.
- Treat your child the same as you treat his/her siblings. Don’t be afraid to set high expectations.
- Give your child an age-appropriate level of responsibility and demonstrate the confidence you have in his/her abilities.
- Teach your child how to verbalize his/her needs with confidence. You can try role-playing to help him/her find appropriate ways to tell friends, teachers and other adults what he/she needs to hear better.
- Encourage your child to face others who are speaking and to work hard at paying attention.
- Consider introducing your child to happy, successful adults with hearing losses. They will see how hearing loss doesn’t hold people back from doing what they want to do.
For further information please contact us at email@example.com